The MPC 2.9.1 desktop software update adds MIDI maps for popular Ableton, Arturia, Korg, M-Audio, and Native Instruments controllers, as well as improvements to the Multi-MIDI functionality. This guide will walk through the software and firmware update process for compatible MPCs.
- Update Release Notes
- Downloading the Software Update
- Downloading the Firmware Update
- Updating with a USB Drive
- Updating with a Windows or macOS
Update Release Notes
- The MPC 2.9.1 desktop software includes MIDI maps for popular Ableton, Arturia, Korg, M-Audio, and Native Instruments controllers.
- This release is for MPC One, MPC Live II, MPC X, MPC Live hardware.
Stability and Reliability
- MIDI Multi: All MPC MIDI Ports will now appear as expected in Preferences when using Controller Mode
Downloading the Software Update
You can download the MPC 2.9.1Desktop Software Update directly from your Akai Pro account.
- Navigate to Akaipro.com and click on Account at the top right.
- Enter your login credentials and click Sign In.
- Click on SEE ALL YOUR PRODUCT REGISTRATIONS.
- Find your MPC model in the available list and click on SEE DETAILS, DOWNLOADS, AND OFFERS.
- The window will expand to reveal your included software. Scroll down to the Software Downloads section and click on NEW: MPC 2.9.1.
- Click on the link for your operating system to download the MPC 2.9.1 installer.
- Once the download completes, navigate to your computer's Download folder. If you are a PC user, right-click on the MPC-v2.9.1 zip and select Extract All. Follow the prompts to unzip the installer's contents.
- Double-click on the Setup Application.
- Find the icon for your MPC model and click on it.
- Click on Update MPC Software to run the MPC 2.9.1 installer. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
IMPORTANT! If there is a red, downward-facing arrow to the left of Install/Update MPC Driver, click on the button to update your hardware driver. Otherwise, your MPC will not be able to connect to the computer. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
Downloading the Firmware Update
To download the Firmware Update, navigate to the MPC product page and click on the Downloads tab. You'll find download links for the Firmware Updater for Mac, PC, and USB.
The Firmware Update will also be made available in your Akai account under the Software Download section in Your Registered Products.
Updating with a USB Drive
What you'll need before updating...
- If you have an MPC X or MPC Live, Firmware v2.1 or later must be currently installed. Note: If you are running a FW version earlier than 2.1, you will have to use your PC or Mac to execute the update.
- A USB drive with at least 1GB of free space. The drive must be formatted correctly to be recognized by the MPC (exFAT or FAT32). See our guide here for more instructions.
- Computer with internet access to download the MPC 2.9.1 Firmware Update and store it on the USB drive.
Updating with a Windows or macOS
Before updating any firmware on any operating system, it's important to take the following precautions:
- Verify that the MPC hardware driver is installed on your computer. For instructions on how to access and install the MPC driver, see Downloading the Software Update.
- Ensure that the MPC is connected securely to a power source before updating. The MPC Live and Live II will not be able to be updated while running on battery power.
- Connect the MPC directly to a USB port on your computer. Avoid using any USB hubs, adapters, extenders or long USB cables to prevent any lost data during the update.
- Disconnect all other USB/MIDI devices from the computer.
- Unplug any MIDI cables plugged into the MIDI ports on the module.
- Make sure that the downloaded firmware update is properly unzipped or extracted before installing the updater.
- Close all other software running on the computer.
In general, the MPC should have a consistent and working connection to your computer. If you are experiencing any problems connecting to the computer, do NOT attempt to update the firmware in order to remedy this. Please contact our support team before continuing with the update.